Friday, November 12, 2010

Expect the Unexpected

Classes are over! Sorry I had to get that out of my system. Nonetheless, I'm sitting in the television lounge as we speak, it is three hours before I leave for Myanmar. Located right next to Thailand, China, Bangladesh, Laos, and India, it is one of the most interesting and yet misunderstood countries in the world. In fact, I am going to have to honest with you that I read an article the other day comparing the state of Myanmar with that of North Korea. No, Myanmar is not a dangerous place visit; according to Lonely Planet Traveler's Guide, Myanmar is one of the safest places to be in southeast Asia. This can be accounted for because a vast percentage of the population is Buddhist, therefore stealing and such goes against the religion of such individuals as they believe in being good in this life in order to look forward to the next one. In addition, the government hands down harsher than normal penalties to those who cross paths with tourists. I expect it to be the most unique experience among all the trips I will make in Asia based on the vast cultural differences the Western world shares with this country. Our itinerary is going to involve a lot of traveling by bus (like 50 hours worth over the next week!) but it will be well worth it.

We plan on hitting up a variety of places and attractions including Yangon and the Shwedagon Pagoda, Bagan, Kalaw, and the Kyaiktiyo Pagoda also known as the Golden Rock. Of course, there will be a fair amount of studying that I will be partaking in during my downtime on this trip as there will be quite a bit with the bus rides and such as I have four finals to take once I return back to Singapore. For now, I have more packing to tend to. Expect the unexpected in my next blog post as I plan, as usual, to give you a full and in-depth recap of this week long trip to the Union of Myanmar. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
J Coco

No comments:

Post a Comment