Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It Had to Happen

Six weeks since having last touched American soil. I had forced the issue for as long as I could, but now I had to face the facts, I needed a haircut.

I knew of a few people who had gone to this one place on the NUS campus that from what I had seen seemed capable of giving a decent haircut. So I tried my hand at it. It was a little different than what I've come to expect at these sorts of places; I was immediately handed a book of different hairstyles as soon as I sat down. Here is one of the pages I found containing some more abstract looks that I am used to seeing. I did eventually find something a little more conservative that wouldn't be turning heads every time I went to class. I didn't think it turned out too bad, although, my friends out here may say otherwise. You can decide for yourself what you think of my Singaporean haircut when some pictures get posted at some point in the near future.

More importantly, I will be heading to the Kingdom of Thailand in three days. I will remind all of you that I am starting out in Koh Phi Phi to hit the beach for a few days. This will sound cliché to anyone in Singapore considering every exchange student always mentions it when going to this island but for everyone at home, Koh Phi Phi was the sight where the movie "The Beach" with Leonardo DiCaprio was shot. For those who have not seen this film, from a few scenes in the movie you can tell that Koh Phi Phi looks stunning. Through word of mouth, I have heard a lot about the island since quite a few exchange students have already had the opportunity to visit this part of Thailand. Besides the aforementioned aesthetics of Koh Phi Phi, I heard about relatively cheap accommodation, a particular bar that includes a boxing ring for people to fight each other (more on this in a moment), and the Thai hookers. No, I have no interest whatsoever in them, I will just say without getting too graphic that they are very aggressive in getting one's attention. Regarding the ring, I don't think I'm looking to come home with a bruise on my buttocks the way one UConn student did just last week. Despite the fact that you do get free drinks in return for the entertainment you provide, it still doesn't seem worthwhile.

Following Koh Phi Phi, I will be heading to Koh Phan Ngan to check out the infamous Full Moon Party that, as one would expect, takes place during every full moon.

Unfortunately, I will be bringing along some work for school considering the week I get back I have a paper due, granted it is only 1000 words long, a physics test, and other readings to take care of. I won't be straining myself too hard while on vacation but it is still an inconvenience that I will have school on my mind while on dazzling white beaches. Speaking of school, I will briefly talk about a unique way courses at run at NUS as opposed to American schools. This being the last week prior to recess break, it is the last week for many professors to teach their respective classes. This is because a different teacher will come in after break and finish out the remainder of the semester. I do not know what may be the reasoning behind this unless professors take turns between teaching and conducting research but that is just a blind guess.

So this will most likely be my last post until about a week from now. Expect to hear a lot about the trip as well as see many photos of my journey through the many islands in Thailand.

Recess Break 2010, here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment