Saturday, August 7, 2010

Up in the Air (Part 2 of 2)

Before you continue with the second part of my trek across the Pacific that I have included a list of all the songs I listened to, in order, during both flights. The link to download the file is on the right-hand side of the page. -J Coco

August 4, 2010
12:07 A.M.→ Listening to “Moar Ghosts N Stuff” by Deadmau5. A very awkward encounter took place a matter of seconds ago. On my way back from the bathroom, a little Japanese kid gets up and doesn’t see me; he ends up running right into my stomach. He then quickly says “hello” in his thick Japanese accent that provoked a grin out of me. Now that I made it back to my seat I would like to again thank my mom for something else. She gave me advice about this flight based on when she went to Singapore about ten years ago for business. She said to just chill and accept that you will be flying for a long time. Having attained this mentality, I am still doing very well from a mental standpoint.

1:43 → Listening to “Action Satisfaction” by Jurassic 5. O.K. now I feel worn down from this ordeal. I just woke up from another nap in hopes that it would be time to land. Instead it is feeding time, again. And to think that when this first flight lands, I will have to wait on the ground for a few hours in order to board a seven-hour flight thereafter. I’m tired and not really seeing a light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.

2:11 → Listening to “ It Was a Good Day” by Ice Cube. No wonder they’re still feeding us. It looks like it is lunchtime based on the amount of sunlight outside. They must be as confused as I am.

3:28 → A smooth landing in Tokyo-Narita Airport.

5:28 → I am all settled on my second plane, a Boeing 777-200 Dreamliner. It was only sixteen hours ago that my dad was “ooh”ing and “ah”ing that I was going to ride on one of these planes to Singapore. Well, at least this plane has personal tvs, which is good enough for me. Although, I had to walk by the beds in business class in order to get to my seat in the back in of the plane. It looked infinitely more comfortable than the tiny confined space I find myself in at this moment.

6:29 → Take off from Tokyo-Narita Airport.

7:56 → Listening to “I’ve Got Your Number” by Passion Pit. It became harder to write in my notebook as of five minutes ago when the lady in front me decided to recline her seat back into my rib cage. Anyway, I have been watching an Asian version of “You Got Served” on someone else’s television. It is pretty entertaining even though I have no idea what’s going on. Mentally, still feeling better than expected as I continue to listen to my iPod. I am very curious what percentage of the time spent traveling today that I have been listening to music. If I had to guess I would say 70%. I will crunch the numbers to figure that out when I have a moment. Five more hours of air travel to go.

10:33 → Listening to “Sir Psycho Sexy” by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I woke up a few moments ago to the worst turbulence I have ever been through. It just became a bad rollercoaster ride that made me really feel how fast the plane was going. Of course, I look over at the guy sitting next to me in hopes of seeing the same scared reaction I was displaying. Instead, I see no reaction on the man’s face as if someone told him to put on his best poker face right when I looked over. I’m still freaking out.

11:16 → Listening to “This Velvet Glove” by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I saw someone just start “Avatar” with only an hour and forty-five minutes left in the flight. They are in for a big disappointment.

12:00 P.M. → Listening to “Wet Sand” by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. It’s glory hour! One more hour until I can regain my personal space.

12:13 → Listening to “Everlong” by Foo Fighters. Here are some closing thoughts to this marathon by air. First, no flight will ever feel long ever again after these thirteen and seven hour-long flights (unless I take a direct flight home from Singapore). Second, this wasn’t that bad of an experience in hindsight. As long as you are relaxed and find some things to keep you busy (like writing for a blog) you should be fine. Finally, I am ecstatic after visualizing for the last few hours what the next four months will be like. Of course, I have quite a heavy load of luggage to get to the hotel before I can really wind down. It was a pleasure bringing you along for the ride. I won’t try to convince you to make this trip but you are more than welcome to come out for a stay! Well, time to prepare for touch down.

12:50 → We land in Changi Airport located on the tiny island of Singapore.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that for the most part your flight went smoothly. Hope you exclaimed "Look, there's Singapore!" before landing. Enjoy the new locale - must be a tropical paradise. Let us know how it is.

    -Drew

    ReplyDelete