Monday, August 2, 2010

The Calm Before the Storm

That is probably the best way to describe how it feels on this last day before I leave for Singapore. This has been building up for weeks with the non-stop conversations between family and friends about this upcoming trip as well as the uniqueness of Singapore, itself.

I will now go through some questions and comments that have come up over the last few days.

"You better not chew gum while you're over there"
I know, it's going to be hard but I've gotten it out of my system over the last few weeks. It may have taken a pack a day to do it (I sound like a smoker) but its not like I have a choice anyway. Not worth being caned.

"Are you nervous?"
No, at least for now. I'm not even thinking about the plane ride, the cultural shock, or the strangeness of it all. I'm trying to keep a blank mind so I don't get overwhelmed at any point over the next week. But I do know that when I get there I will be jet lagged, exhausted and potentially freaked out about being in a part of the world that I have never seen before.

"Are you excited?"
Not really, but that's just because nothing ever hits me until a few days after whatever takes place has had some time to settle in my mind. It is probably better this way so I don't set sky high expectations and end up not being let down. I hope to be blown away being in southeast Asia; a new set of laws that apply, a new set of customs going on around me. I picture it being surreal but very exciting at the same time. NOTE: As I was typing this question up for the blog, my mom walked into my room and asked me if I am excited. Funny how that works.

"Is anyone else from school going to be there?"
Yes, I know one person who went to high school with me and now we go to the same college who will be at NUS. There is also another person who went to high school with me who will be in Singapore as well. Sorry, no name dropping.

Where is Singapore?
It is a little island right off the coast of Malaysia. It is near Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and India.

Why did you choose Singapore?
As I have mentioned in this blog previously, I never took myself seriously to go through with this. That being said it was the only study abroad program I applied for and I really wanted to take advantage of this opportunity. I decided to go through with it because I just felt it is the least expensive way for me to see a part of the world I may never see again (not including potential job openings that may lure me back over to southeast Asia in the future).

I will stop here considering the fact that I will be writing a very long entry on the plane ride over. Should be very entertaining.

Thanks for reading,

J Coco

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Jesse,
    We are so thriled your excellent adventure is about to begin! Travel safely while remaining open to all the amazing possibilities that lie ahead. We are SOOOO proud of you! xoxo Aunt ali

    ReplyDelete